Monday, March 15, 2010

Koda's Story

May 2003
This is Koda, before I named him Koda. The shelter said his name was "Snow." He was a sad and mangy pup - underweight (43lbs), with his hip bones sticking out of his back - who'd been in and out of the shelter like a revolving door. Two weeks in a home, then back to the shelter. Five weeks in a home, then surrendered to the shelter. After two weeks back at the shelter and no one desperately looking for him (since his owners gave him up), he was to be destroyed the next day.

A kind man named Michael, rescued him from the shelter and snuck the unwanted dog into his apartment. But he couldn't keep him. Michael brought "Snow" to a pet adoption event, where I saw him and immediately wanted him. I just knew he was the one. I took him for a walk, filled out some papers, Michael came over to do the house check and then left him with us. I have a dog! I have a dog! My very own dog!

"Snow" made himself at home... after throwing up on the floor and licking it back up. Poor guy had kennel cough. That was just the start of our rough beginning. True to his Nordic breeding, my new dog would not walk nicely on a leash - he would pull me all the way down the block. And I mean PULL. It was impossible to walk him. He chewed shoes, books, boxes and personal belongings. Shelter dogs have so many ghosts in their past, it's hard to understand them. Our first month was very challenging. I was afraid I couldn't keep him.

At wits end, I enrolled us in obedience school for 8 weeks. I couldn't stomach the thought of returning him to the shelter because he was basically uncontrollable. I told "Koda" (the new name I decided on because it started with a "K", was 2-syllables and easy to yell across a field) that he had 8 weeks to shape up or we'd be making a really hard decision.

At the same time, I started reading Pack of Two - The Intricate Bond Between People ad Dogs by Caroline Knapp. I think this book was really instrumental in helping me persist and not give up on him. It made me long for the bond that she describes. I've always loved animals, but the idea of this canine companion was so endearing. I wanted it. I wanted Koda to be my special furry companion.

Koda shaped up and became such a well-mannered dog, that we receive compliments regularly about his good behavior. I am so glad I adopted him. And it's not just Koda who is lucky because he now has a forever home. I count myself equally lucky to have Koda in my life. Dogs add so much to life. Koda is living a pretty charmed life, too.

Koda in hot pursuit of pretty Luna at the dog park.

He likes to spend time in the snow (naturally!).

Koda training to become a Therapy Dog.

He took First Place for Best Looking at the Atsa My Dog contest.

Koda walked the runway at the Boutiques Unleashed Benefit -
Fashion for Both Ends of the Leash.

One happy Beach Husky at Cannon Beach.

Navigating the A-Frame at an agility course open house.

Now, almost 7 years later - here's our beautiful Koda! He enjoys the parks, trails and snow and all the attention an "only fur-child" could ever want. We want him to live a long, long healthy life.

December 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment